Thursday, October 22, 2015

Five Problems With Social Media

I was looking through facebook the other day and came across a writing related post called "the thirty day writing challenge" which gave a list of thirty different topics in which you write about- one a day for thirty days. I decided I would take on this challenege as I await the start of NaNoWriMo, however I must admit I probably won't be writing one a day.

The first topic to write about was entitled "Five problems with Social Media". Now I am a huge fan of Social Media- I have accounts on various sites including Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, and more! I find Social Media a wonderful place to interact with people- new and old! It's a great place to meet new people and make new friends, which I have done. But yes, there are a lot of problems with it.

1. Social Media can be dangerous for people, especially the younger audience who don't know how easy it is to pretend to be someone else. There are predators and pedophiles and all sorts of disgusting people on Social Media, prowling for innocent children. Parents need to be very watchful of what their children are using Social Media for. They may see it as an invasion of privacy but really it's for their own safety.

2. Rumours are easily spread and started on Social Media. It only takes 2 seconds for someone to write a lie about someone and hit that enter button. And people will believe anything they read on the internet. This point lead into the next one as well...

3. Cyber Bullying. Social Media is absolutely the worst place for bullying these days. And unfortunately it's so eays for them. Like spreading rumours it only takes 2 seconds for someone to ridicule and tease you online. Insults are thrown around as if they're nothing and the person sending them won't think twice about the fact that they are hurting the person on the other end. And sadly they face little consequences for doing it. Social Media has made it so easy for these bullies and people suffer because of it. 

4. Poor Self Image. This may take a little explaining as poor self image has been a problem long before Social Media came along but I feel as if it's worse these days. 

Filters. Photoshop. These things are now at the hands of everyone and it's so easy to change a picture to make it look different. I find this is used more with girls as they are so dependant on how many likes they get on a picture. It's sad when you think about the fact that a youngperson  doesn't think they are beautiful because they only got two or three likes on a picture when they're friend may have got fifty. They begin to think they're ugly or worthless, when in fact that is not true. Their self esteem is ruined in the matter of two seconds and it's so hard to gain back. Social Media does this to so many people, multiple times a day. 

5. Nobody is talking to each other anymore. Social Media has made it so easy for everyone to know just exactly what is going on in your lifeand  communciation has become lax between family and friends. Nobody calls you up after work anymore and asks "how was your day?" because they can see on your facebook it was stressful, or on your instagram that you had a big meeting that went well, or on your twitter that everything was great that day. Nobody talks anymore. Phone calls and coffee meetups have been replaced with facebook status's and chats, which are in no way personal. No one wants to talk to each other anymore. It's a little depressing to think about. 

It's sad to see what Social Media has done to society. I can't deny it, I am guilty of quite a few of these things. When I was younger I used to go on various social media sites and, although I was a young girl of sixteen, I would get comments from strangers saying I was "cute" or "pretty" and asking for my information. Luckily I was informed enough not to give anything out to these people, but it's scary to think of what could have happened had I not known it wasn't safe. I've been a victim of Cyber Bullying. I've had rumours spread about me. I've had self esteem issues and thoughts that I wasn't "pretty" enough becaue my friend got more likes than me.  And I don't talk to people much. I use my  Twitter account relentlessly, I post tons of photos on Instagram. I'm always checking facebook (although I don't post too much these days). I prefer to inform people via social media because it is easier than calling fifty family members to inform them I'm pregnant. I am guilty of being a part of all these problems.... but that doesn't mean I think Social Media is all bad. There are so many positives to Social Media as well and as long as you are aware of how to use Social Media safely than there's no reason you shouldn't use it.

Inform your children, make them aware of the dangers, and monitor their uses. But don't let the fear of what can happen stop your children from exploring Social Media. Because I do believe there is a lot of good in Social media.

Til Next time,
Nessie <3

1 Comments:

At April 1, 2016 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Just An Old Fart Doing His Thing said...

Well said. You came up with pretty much the same ones that I did.
Here's my own post:
http://missouri-tiehacker.blogspot.com/2016/04/thirty-day-writing-challenge-day-one.html

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home